"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page." -- St. Augustine

Sunday, August 9, 2009

Memories

As I sat tonight flipping through my best friend's photos from her recent mission trip to Ukraine, I suddenly realized how much I truly missed Russia. How much I missed culture. How much I missed outreach. How much I missed the life God has called me to. I honestly started to cry as I was simply reflecting and wishing I could have been over there with her.... ministering, loving on, and interacting with the Europeans yet again. In a conversation I had tonight with a friend, I said simply that Europe has always had a special place in my heart. When talking about missions and where to go, people often mention China or the Middle East... because they assume since Christianity began on European soil that Europe is completely Christian. This presupposition is incredibly false... while yes, Christianity did begin in Europe..... Europe today is VERY post-modern and VERY post-Christian. Agnosticism and Atheism rates are incredibly high as people search out for the truth or simply live with the truth there is no God. This thought breaks my heart.

In 2007, I went to Russia with a broken heart and as my youth pastor told me, "If you go somewhere with a broken heart, more likely than not you'll come back with no heart at all." He was completely true. I gave away every piece of my heart to the young girls that stole it from day one there. Missions is my call and I am excited to pursue it full-time.

Thank you Liz.... for bringing back memories. And thank you to those of you who encourage me to continue to chase after my dreams. I am forever indebted to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment